Spradlin Kennedy Law Firm

Client Focused. Results Driven.

Attorney Image

How to get your license back after a DUI conviction

Nobody leaves the bar intending to get a DUI. Despite that, dozens if not hundreds of people in Kansas City find themselves in the backs of cop cars every weekend for driving over the limit. There’s no shortage of penalties for a DUI conviction, but one of the most debilitating is losing your driver’s license.

A first time DUI conviction will your driving privileges for 90 days. This will make getting to work, to court, to pick up your kids and other every day responsibilities much more difficult and time consuming. Fortunately, by doing a little extra work you can have this suspension period reduced to eliminated.

Get back on the road with a restricted driving privilege

Your driving privileges are not completely gone for 90 days just because they are constrained. The court suspends your license for 30 days after your first DUI conviction, after which you’ll be able to receive 60 days of Restricted Driving Privileges (RDP). Restricted Driving Privileges allow you to drive, but only to get to very important places, including:

  • Your place of employment
  • Your school
  • A medical center
  • Treatment
  • Court or legal obligations
  • Your religious center
  • A grocery store
  • Custodial obligations

If you decide to go this route you will need to serve your 30-day license suspension, then provide proof of insurance by submitting an SR-22 form.

Skipping the 30-day license suspension

Alternatively, you may have the option to skip the 30-day license suspension and immediately receive 90 days of RDP. This will require some extra effort and paperwork, but it will mean being able to drive when it’s a necessity right away. You will also need to install an Ignition Interlock Device (IID); otherwise recognizable as an alcohol breath tester built into your vehicle.

To get the ball rolling on this option you will need to:

  • Submit a Request for Immediate 90-Day Restricted Driving Privilege form within 15 days of receiving the notice that your driving privilege has been suspended.
  • Submit proof that you have had an IID installed in your vehicle.
  • Provide proof of insurance by submitting an SR-22 form.

All of the required forms and where to send them can be found on the Missouri Department of Revenue’s page covering Restricted Driving Privilege.

It takes some extra legwork and filling out forms, but it is possible to stay on the road after a DUI conviction. Being able to drive to necessities can mean keeping your job or even making a court date on time. If getting around without a car will be a challenge for you, don’t hesitate to consider these options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


  • Dan went above and beyond for me. He exceeded every expectation was honest, efficient and cares about the clients he defends. I couldn't have made a better decision choosing him to defend me. Knowing he is in my corner gives me relief because there is nobody better. If you are in need of legal advice or looking for representation calling Dan is one of the best decisions you can make.

    ~ Eric B.

  • Tracy is extraordinary! I could not give a higher recommendation for anyone in need of legal assistance.

    ~ Tyler M.

  • Dan is the man. He's had years of experience and if you follow what he tells you everything else will fall in place. Dan is a wonderful attorney. The Best!!!!!!! I wished I met Dan long before now!!!!

    ~ Lonnie S.

Email Us For a Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Phone Number

Office Location

4505 Madison Ave
Suite 110
Kansas City, MO 64111

Phone: 816-340-6736
Kansas City Law Office Map